Monday, April 22, 2024

Tumeric!


 With a great birthday box arriving from India via N. Hamlin, I decided to use the turmeric roots in a Greek recipe for Chicken baked in Yogurt.

First I tried using the grater but that didn't even make any scrapings. So I decided to try the coffee grinder we use for seeds and nuts. I had to use the meat cleaver to cut off a smaller piece to put in the grinder. What a racket! But it did make a little turmeric dust. So I tried another piece and it banged around even more and then broke the plastic top of the grinder and flew out past the stove to the wall!

I'm so glad it didn't come in my direction - can you imagine telling the urgent care doctor that you were impaled by a flying piece of turmeric?


I should have googled first! and when I did I found out you are supposed to put the turmeric in the microwave for 2 minutes, then use a mortar and pestle to grind it, and then use a spice grinder or food processor. Oh, well, that grinder was maybe 30 years old, so maybe it was due for replacement.

The yogurt sauce had cumin, mint, coriander, bay leaf and white pepper as well. It was supposed to be topped with grape leaves which I didn't happen to have so I used spinach. Maybe that's why it tasted kind of weird. Mostly it tasted like cumin,

Don't think I'll try that recipe again, but I will attempt to use the turmeric - if I can figure out a replacement for a microwave which we don't have...

It was fun to get the package, the fig and date sweets disappeared quickly and the elephants look great on our front door!

love,

Agelaius



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.