Thursday, January 3, 2013

Reviewing some GREAT books (Lucie's stack)




Hey, I think you all know this about me that I only read young adult fiction (wherever Lucie is on that timeline actually) ever since a book made me throw up when I was pregnant. Hmmm, I wonder if that had its effect on Lucie since, unlike everyone else alive, she never read Harry Potter until last spring - and didn't even get to "the dying part" where I left off...

Anyway, after reading this adaption of the fairy tale 'Goose Girl' by Shannon Hale, I wanted to read the sequels. So, that was my Christmas reading, as soon as Lucie was done - actually it only took her a night and a day, me a lot longer since I was also doing painting and sewing and cooking.
I really loved these books - as Lucie says "It's her voice!" Enna Burning was fierce and scarey and almost too grown-up for me, but Lucie said, keep reading the next ones are easier. River Secrets was very funny with only a few scarey bits.
Even though it is a fairy tale/fantasy/invented world book - the people are very realistic and sympathetic. So now I'm reading the last in the series Forest Born but I haven't gotten very far.
Thanks for all your reviews - I guess the ulterior motive in this Christmas gift was that I got to have you read the books for me - except for the Graphic Cannon and F in Exams, I probably won't read any of those books, but I was curious because of all the hype I kept hearing...
Well, I did read The Curious Incident of the Dog at Night Time which is really good and I tried to read the ideal bookshelf one, and yeah, it is kind of skim-reading, Geoff.
Also, Masterpiece, Hannukah Shmannukay, Educating Esme, and Viva Paris were all books I'd already read and liked alot. Easy to please? you betcha!
Last thing to say is I read The Amulet of Samarkand which is the first of The Bartimaeus Trilogy and really liked it - a sort of anti-harry potter dystopy - they even sniff about boarding school magicians - and the genie is very funny - keeps writing in foot notes!
love, Agelaius
P.S. to Alex - you should read Shakespeare's Secret by the author of Masterpiece - it's every bit as good as The Calder Game and its sequels
P.S. to Gill - too bad about the Towers of Trebizond - it sounded like it'd be good - but thanks for the Graham Green recommendation - I've been wanting to find his book about the Cristada Revolution anyway. (derivAtive) I didn't know blogger does spell check - doesn't seem like it when you are reading other blogs!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.