Thursday, April 2, 2020

Like most, I expect, we've been watching a bunch of movies, and since Kathie asked for suggestions, I'll post a list of what we've watched lately. We're taking turns picking movies, and Sue went first with Wadjda (Saudi girl wants a bike while her dad is taking a second wife), I chose Okja (Tilda Swinton replays an evil CEO in a Boon Jun-Ho film about super pigs), Alex picked Christopher Robin (Ewan McGregor does not pass the Bechdel test), then Mary Poppins Returns (too smug, too musical but that Hamilton guy), Amazons and Swallows (UK lake country kids and Russian spies), and tonight since yesterday was Toshiba Mifune's 100th birthday, we watched High and Low. (Kurosawa on class warfare)
We have a dvd of Good Omens waiting on the table (I watched it already) and Farmageddon is future possibility (ditto).
And since TCM was doing a Mifune marathon lately, I watched part of Seven Samurai, and then Rashomon. It's nice to have the TCM app, since then I/we can watch when the movie is not broadcast (like we did for High and Low) -- we can plug the iPad into the TV (dongle connects the iPad to the HDMI cable)
And then there's also Kanopy, which connects to your library card, you can watch 10 movies per month (expanded from 5 for the time being). Lots of movies, especially the old stuff (criterion collection, french gangster movies, Buster Keaton)
And then I've been poking around for online books too -- Hoopla connects to the library card too, and it' a pretty good collection, but I've just seen the Open Library has made a lots of stuff available, with some questionable legality, but I've not browsed yet.
Enough to keep me occupied. Hopefully help ya'll too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.